Thursday, July 27, 2006

My New Obsession



Being here in Taiwan, one is constantly bombarded by various novelty items. Classics include T-shirts with messages in English that don't actually make any sense (ie: "Concert Party Go Boys" or "Handmade Natural Rome Low Birth Weight Body Warmen" [yes, that's real]), signs to put in public restrooms reminding people to flush (nothing gets that point across quite like a talking piece of poo), and of course brand-name items including Love Milk and Blackman Toothpaste.

Of these novelties, I have recently become slightly obsessed with the current promotion run through local 7-11 stores. Every time one makes a purchase over $77 NTD (slightly more than $2 USD), s/he receives a Doraemon Rainbow World Tour magnet. The things are pretty darn precious. Each one has Doraemon (who is the "cat-like robo" pictured at left) dressed in the stereotypical attire of a particular country with some type of country-specific monument in the background. There are 36 different magnets (but only 35 different countries- Taiwan is represented twice), and I presently have 21 of them on my refrigerator. Oh yes.

I told my students about my new found love for the magnets (I'm drawn to every 7-11 I pass, which means that every 100 feet there's a temptation to go buy water, tea, and Coke Light in sufficient quantities to reach $77 NTD), and now I've got an extra 150 people on the lookout for me. So fabulous. In fact, I just received 5 more. Can't wait to get home to put them on the fridge!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home