Friday, August 04, 2006

One of those days...

So we were going to have a karaoke party today in all 6 classes. We've been working on different songs this week, and I'd told them all yesterday to bring snacks, drinks, etc., and to be prepared to sing some groovy English tunes. All seemed well.

I woke up at a delicious 7:45, geared up to go to school, thinking what a delightfully easy day I had ahead. No last minute plans to be made, no stress, just 6 parties in a row and listening to some quality English singing. That's where the day went wrong.

Byt the time I got to the office (after heading to Yamazaki for my morning iced milk coffee and breakfast), the karaoke DVDs I'd asked Robert about yesterday had already been split up between two other teachers. I thought, no big deal, I'll use Lil' Blanco. Oh, but there's no available sound cord. Oh, and the external speakers are being used. Oh, so there's basically no way for projecting sound. Hmmm, ok, so now there are slightly less than 20 minutes until class begins and I have NO PLAN for the day. Panic mode set in.

I thought I'd just find some MadLibs and we could work on those in groups, perfect. I finally found some on-line that one could print out (as opposed to just filling them in on-line), and then when I went to print... no printing. Lights are flashing, Chinese warnings are everywhere. Great.

Turns out there was just no paper (but I only would have understood if it had said small medium large fish meat). Paper's loaded, 50000000000 copies of mine are printing, I hurriedly make copies so there will be plenty for the groups, and I run to class (already sweaty at 9:02am). Things go ok for the morning.

Then later, when I'm in the office making some more last minute copies, Ms. Lin, the assistant of the International Office, asks if she can come observe my 2nd afternoon class. I show her what we're doing, which is NOTHING special, but she says that's fine, whatever.

In the interim, I go home as soon as we hit lunch break. I eat bread, chocolate, and water because basically nothing is appetizing any more. Anita comes in when there are 20 or so minutes of lunch left and says, "You missed the pizza!" I forgot that it was today when the office was buying pizza for the teachers. Great.

Run to the office, make some copies, grab a slice of pizza (narrowly avoiding the seafood pizza which to me screams heartburn). There are all these accusatory, "Where were you?" questions. I JUST FORGOT, folks!

Second afternoon class time arrives... the bell sounds, Ms. Lin comes into the class where only 8 of my 24 students are. Where are the others? Buying snacks and drinks for our karaoke party, of course. Nevermind that I told them to BRING them, not go buy them during the break. Five-ten minutes into our "class" time, the rest of the class enters. I'm sure Ms. Lin is ever-so-impressed with the whole concept of the lesson anyhow (basically college ESL Friday busy work), nevermind the fact that as the class is slowly streaming in they are brining an abundance of chips, crackers, sodas, teas, and other assorted and sundry goods. So my day.

I did get the Cambodia Doraemon, and now only lack Hong Kong and Mexico to have a complete collection. That's been the pinnacle of the day.

TGIF.

1 Comments:

At 9:20 AM, Blogger kel said...

Take heart- all teachers have those days! In fact, you're actually teaching them quite a bit about American culture- we come to class late, eat a lot of junk food, and busy work??? I'm sure we invented that too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home